This Inter-Provider Transfer Administrative Minimum Data Set specifies the data necessary to permit the receiving Health Care Provider to be able to report the PATIENT's progress along their PATIENT PATHWAY and, in particular, their REFERRAL TO TREATMENT PERIOD.
In an estimated 10% to 20% of cases, responsibility for the PATIENT PATHWAY will be transferred between Health Care Providers. The receiving Health Care Provider would be unable to report on the 18 weeks target for these cases unless the referring Health Care Provider supplied the PATIENT PATHWAY information at the time of transfer.Scope and Collection
- Completion is mandatory for all PATIENTS with a REFERRAL TO TREATMENT PERIOD where there has been a transfer of care to an alternative Health Care Provider.
- Completion is advisable for PATIENTS without a REFERRAL TO TREATMENT PERIOD, where there has been a transfer of care to an alternative Health Care Provider, but this is voluntary.
- The referring ORGANISATION should send the data set within 48 hours of DECISION TO REFER DATE (INTER-PROVIDER TRANSFER).
- Inter-provider transfer SERVICE REQUESTS for clinical opinion or diagnostics, where the care of the PATIENT remains with the referring Health Care Provider, are voluntary.
- SERVICE REQUESTS associated with the following PATIENT PATHWAYS are also not currently included:
- Non-elective PATIENTS
- Planned admissions (usually part of a planned sequence of clinical care determined mainly on social or clinical criteria, for example, a check cystoscopy).
Where the Inter-Provider Transfer Administrative Minimum Data Set is sent WITH the clinical referral letter it is considered to be complete if the following key data items are included:
- PATIENT PATHWAY IDENTIFIER
- ORGANISATION CODE (PATIENT PATHWAY IDENTIFIER ISSUER)
- REFERRING ORGANISATION CODE
- REFERRAL TO TREATMENT PERIOD START DATE
- REFERRAL TO TREATMENT PERIOD STATUS (INTER-PROVIDER TRANSFER)
Where the Inter-Provider Transfer Administrative Minimum Data Set is sent independently of the clinical referral letter, ALL mandated Inter-Provider Transfer Administrative Minimum Data Set data items must be completed.Further Guidance
Further guidance on the data set can be found in 'The Inter-Provider Transfer Administrative Data Set Operational Information Standard' and in DSCN 30/2007.
Further guidance and definitions on REFERRAL TO TREATMENT PERIODS and those PATIENT PATHWAYS included within the Consultant-Led Referral to Treatment Waiting Times can be found on the NHS England website at: Consultant-led Referral to Treatment Waiting Times.
The Mandation column indicates the NHS recommendation for the inclusion of data:
- M = Mandatory: this data element is mandatory and the technical process (e.g. submission of the data set, production of output etc) cannot be completed without this data element being present
- O = Optional: the inclusion of this data element is optional as required for local purposes.