The Female Genital Mutilation Data Set provides essential information in relation to the female genital mutilation population across England.
The Female Genital Mutilation Data Set is used:
- To identify the potential risk of female genital mutilation to young girls and vulnerable women
- For better planning and management of female genital mutilation SERVICES at a local level and across England
Data may be input immediately using an input screen via the NHS Digital Clinical Audit Platform when female genital mutilation is identified, or data extracts for Patients, can be submitted as a bulk upload on a monthly basis for each ORGANISATION.
CARE CONTACT activities undertaken for female genital mutilation PATIENTS during the REPORTING PERIOD are reported in the data upload. This includes any attendances at an Out-Patient Clinic led by any type of CARE PROFESSIONAL, Hospital Provider Spells, Emergency Care Attendances, Group Therapy, Ward Attendances; or any other type of direct PATIENT-facing CARE CONTACT, with an exception to Sexual and Reproductive Health Clinics and Genitourinary Medicine (GUM) clinics, who are not required to submit the Female Genital Mutilation Data Set to the NHS Digital.
SNOMED CT Refset Metadata:
- Female genital mutilation related findings:
- Female genital mutilation related procedures:
Data Extract Specification
The Department of Health and Social Care requires all NHS Trusts, NHS Foundation Trusts and GENERAL MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS to generate and provide a data extract in accordance with the Female Genital Mutilation Data Set. This requirement is applicable to all CARE PROFESSIONALS in these ORGANISATIONS whenever it has been identified that a woman or young girl has undergone female genital mutilation.Further information is available on the NHS Digital website at: Female Genital Mutilation Datasets.
Data extracted from systems can be submitted as a bulk upload on a quarterly basis for each ORGANISATION.
Data submitted by the bulk upload facility must be formatted in 3 separate comma separated variable (csv) files (i.e. Patient, Attendance or Female Genital Mutilation), which are used to populate the NHS Digital Clinical Audit Platform. The data elements should be transmitted in the order specified in the Female Genital Mutilation Data Set.
Electronic files must be transmitted to NHS Digital via the Clinical Audit Platform which is a secure web portal.
Connection to the web portal requires registration to the Clinical Audit Platform, which will include the provision of a login account name and password.
Further guidance on the Female Genital Mutilation Data Set can be found on the on the NHS Digital website at: SCCI2026: Female Genital Mutilation Enhanced Dataset.
The Mandation column indicates the recommendation for the inclusion of data.
- M = Mandatory: this data element is mandatory and the technical process (e.g. submission of the data set, production of output etc) cannot be completed without this data element being present
- R = Required: NHS business processes cannot be delivered without this data element
- O = Optional: the inclusion of this data element is optional as required for local purposes.