The GUMCAD Sexually Transmitted Infection Surveillance System Data Set provides essential public health information about Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) diagnoses, treatments and SERVICES provided by Level 3 Genitourinary Medicine Services and commissioned Level 2 Sexual Health Services.
- To inform public health response and policy formulation for England
- To monitor the effectiveness of the policies introduced as part of the National Strategy for Sexual Health and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- For performance management at local and national level to ensure delivery of the national Public Service Agreement target on Sexual Health Services
- For better planning and management of Sexual Health Services at local level
- To adapt and refine clinical interventions, as appropriate
Data Extract Specification
Public Health England require Sexual Health Services to generate and provide a data extract in accordance with the GUMCAD Sexually Transmitted Infection Surveillance System Data Set. These SERVICES include:
- NHS providers of specialised Level 3 Genitourinary Medicine Services, where the primary function of the specialist clinical multidisciplinary team is concerned with the provision of screening, diagnosis and management of Sexually Transmitted Infections and related genital medical conditions.
- All Level 2 Sexual Health Services commissioned by the NHS who offer testing, diagnostic and/or treatment of Sexually Transmitted Infections.
It should be noted that General Practitioners with Extended Roles (GPwERs) will only be included if they operate from a General Medical Practitioner Practice that has been commissioned to provide a Level 2 Sexual Health Service.
Time period: The extract must cover one calendar quarter.
Frequency: Reports must be run quarterly, 6 weeks after the end of the quarter.
Format: Data returned must be formatted into a single comma separated variable (csv) file. The data elements should be transmitted in the order specified in the GUMCAD Sexually Transmitted Infection Surveillance System Data Set.
Transmission: Electronic files must be transmitted to Public Health England through a secure web portal on the Public Health England website. This web portal enables ORGANISATIONS to submit data files in a secure manner to the HIV and STI Department of Public Health England. The web portal can be found at HIV & STI web portal.GUMCAD Sexually Transmitted Infection Surveillance System Data Set can be found on the Public Health England part of the gov.uk website at: STI Surveillance, data, screening and management.
The Mandation column indicates the recommendation for the inclusion of data.
- M = Mandatory: this data element is mandatory and the technical process (e.g. submission of the data set, production of output etc) cannot be completed without this data element being present
- R = Required: NHS business processes cannot be delivered without this data element