The Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS) is a PATIENT level, output based secondary uses data set which aims to deliver robust, comprehensive, nationally consistent and comparable person-based information for PATIENTS who are in contact with Mental Health Services.
The Mental Health Services Data Set covers Mental Health Services located in England, or located outside England but treating PATIENTS commissioned by an English Integrated Care Board, NHS England specialised commissioner or an NHS-led Provider Collaborative.
As a secondary uses data set, the Mental Health Services Data Set re-uses clinical and operational data for purposes other than direct PATIENT care, and defines the data items, definitions and associated value sets to be extracted or derived from local information systems.
All ACTIVITY relating to PATIENTS who receive assessments and treatment from Mental Health Services is within the scope of the Mental Health Services Data Set, where the PATIENT has, or are thought to have:
- A mental health condition and/or
- A need for support with their mental wellbeing and/or
- A Learning Disability and/or
- Autism or any other neurodevelopmental condition.
- NHS Mental Health Trusts
- NHS Learning Disabilities Trusts
- NHS Acute Trusts
- NHS Care Trusts
- Voluntary sector Health Care Providers
- Any qualified provider offering Mental Health Services
- Community SERVICES offering secondary care to children.
The Mental Health Services Data Set has historically been submitted using two submission windows, primary and refresh. This has changed to a multiple submission window model which gives submitters the opportunity to resubmit throughout the submission year. Guidance on the new submission model can be found on the NHS Digital website at: How to submit to the MHSDS.
The Mandation column indicates the recommendation for the inclusion of data.
- M = Mandatory: this data element is mandatory and the technical process (e.g. submission of the data set, production of output etc) cannot be completed without this data element being present
- R = Required: NHS business processes cannot be delivered without this data element
- O = Optional: the inclusion of this data element is optional as required for local purposes
- P = Pilot: this data element is for piloting use only.
Note: items in the Mandation column which are shown with notation P have not been approved by the Data Alliance Partnership Board and are included to facilitate piloting and testing of future data requirements, prior to formal inclusion in later versions of the Mental Health Services Data Set. These items have been included in the data set layout in order to provide advance notice to data providers and system suppliers of the intention to require these items at a later date. Unless ORGANISATIONS are engaged in piloting activities relating to these items, they should NOT submit any data item marked P.
Data Set Constraints
For guidance on the Data Set constraints, see the Mental Health Services Data Set Constraints.