The NHS Continuing Healthcare Patient Level Data Set is PATIENT level, output based, secondary user data set. It delivers robust, comprehensive, nationally consistent and comparable PERSON centred information for people who are in receipt of, or whose eligibility is being assessed for, NHS Continuing Healthcare or NHS-funded Nursing Care. The data set does not include information about requests for an independent review of an NHS Continuing Healthcare eligibility decision.
As a secondary uses data set the NHS Continuing Healthcare Patient Level Data Set re-uses operational data for purposes other than direct PATIENT care. It defines the data items, definitions and associated value sets to be extracted or derived from local systems.
The data collected in the NHS Continuing Healthcare Patient Level Data Set covers all NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care ACTIVITY undertaken by responsible commissioners (or other ORGANISATIONS acting on their behalf), in line with the NHS Continuing Healthcare (National Framework) in England.
- Information on the use of resources to improve the operational management of SERVICES
- Support for current national performance indicators for NHS Continuing Healthcare
The NHS Continuing Healthcare Patient Level Data Set provides the definitions for data to:
- be lodged in the data warehouse regularly and routinely,
- be assembled, compiled and to flow into a secondary uses data warehouse,
- provide timely, pseudonymised PATIENT based data and information for purposes other than direct clinical care, e.g. planning, commissioning, public health, performance improvement, research, clinical governance.
Data is expected to be extracted and collated by Sub Integrated Care Board Locations from the NHS Continuing Healthcare management systems used by responsible commissioners (Integrated Care Boards) to manage their NHS Continuing Healthcare function.
Data will be reported monthly.
Submission InformationThe NHS Continuing Healthcare Patient Level Data Set is submitted to NHS Digital using the NHS Continuing Healthcare Patient Level Data Set XML Schema.
The Mandation column indicates the recommendation for the inclusion of data.
- M = Mandatory: this data element is mandatory and the technical process (e.g. submission of the data set, production of output etc) cannot be completed without this data element being present
- R = Required: NHS business processes cannot be delivered without this data element
- O = Optional: the inclusion of this data element is optional as required for local purposes.