The Patient Level Information Costing System Acute Data Set is used to standardise the method of reporting cost information at PATIENT level. All designated NHS Health Care Providers of acute activity are required to submit Patient Level Information Costing data.
The Patient Level Information Costing System Acute Data Set is used to:
- inform new methods of pricing NHS SERVICES
- inform new approaches and other changes to the design of the currencies used to price NHS SERVICES
- contribute to NHS England and NHS Improvement's strategic objective of a ‘single national cost collection by 2020’ inform the relationship between provider characteristics and cost
- help NHS Trusts to maximise use of their resources and improve efficiencies, as required by the provider licence
- identify the relationship between PATIENT characteristics and cost
- support an approach to benchmarking for regulatory purposes.
Data Extract Specification
Reporting is required at the end of each financial year, consistent with the methodologies and submission processes in the Approved Costing Guidance. This only includes those NHS Health Care Providers noted in the Costing Mandation Timetable and does not include non-NHS Health Care Providers.
The data is collected annually. It must be submitted in accordance with the timetable set out by NHS England and NHS Improvement in the National Cost Collection Guidance (part of the Approved Costing Guidance).
The data should be submitted in an XML file, created by NHS England and NHS Improvement's Data Validation Tool (DVT). Information on how to access and use this tool is included in the National Cost Collection Guidance (part of the Approved Costing Guidance).
Patient Level Information Costing data will be submitted to NHS Digital using Secure Electronic File Transfer (SEFT). Secure Electronic File Transfer (SEFT) can only be accessed by registered and approved users and NHS England and NHS Improvement will invite relevant people to register for the service and provide details of the log in process.
The Mandation column indicates the recommendation for the inclusion of data.
- M = Mandatory: this data element is mandatory and the technical process (e.g. submission of the data set, production of output etc) cannot be completed without this data element being present
- R = Required: NHS business processes cannot be delivered without this data element.
Data Set Constraints
For guidance on the Data Set constraints, see the: