SNOMED CT® Refset
A SNOMED CT Refset is a data structure defined within SNOMED CT® Release Format 2 (RF2), which consists of a set of references to SNOMED CT® components, like concepts, descriptions or relationships.
In its simple form a SNOMED CT Refset is used to represent a subset of SNOMED CT® content.
- Usually represent groups of concepts that share specified characteristics (for example, a specific clinical domain)
- Support user interface development through the organisation of clinical display, creation of menus and pick-lists, or support of knowledge structures
- May be created as value sets for messaging or data entry.
Different types of SNOMED CT Refsets are used to represent:
- Descriptions or concepts for particular realms or specialties
- Suitability of particular concepts for use in a particular context in a record.
For further information on SNOMED CT Refsets, see:
- The SNOMED CT® Glossary at: SNOMED CT reference set
Change requests for SNOMED CT Refsets released by NHS England should be made through the Request Submission Portal on the NHS England website at: Welcome to the Request Submission Portal.